Red Cross Nor’easter Update

Sunday, March 4

The impacts of Friday’s Nor’easter continue to be felt across Eastern Pennsylvania. More than 100,000 are still without power. In response, the American Red Cross has opened several shelters across the region.

Monroe County: Shelter open at Stroudsburg High School, 1100 W. Main St., Stroudsburg, PA

 Montgomery County: Pottstown YMCA, 724 N. Adams. St. Pottstown, PA

 Pike County:    Shelter open at Dingman Township V.F.D., 680 Log Tavern Rd., Milford, PA

Shelter open at Central Volunteer Fire Department, 574 Westcolang Rd., Hawley, PA

 In addition, the Red Cross is also supporting several partner-run shelters and warming centers, including several in Northampton County. Many other communities have also announced the opening of warming centers and charging stations for those without power. For warming center locations near you, contact your municipality or county emergency management agency.

 Power outages are expected to last for a couple of more days in some places. The Red Cross has these important safety tips to keep you and your family safe in the aftermath of the Nor’easter.

POWER OUTAGE

  • Use flash lights in the dark, not candles. Candles can start fires.
  • If you are using a generator be sure you understand the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning and how to use generators safely. Never use a generator indoors or in a garage. It must be kept outside in a well-ventilated area.
  • Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. An unopened refrigerator will keep foods cold for about 4 hours. A full freezer will keep the temperature for about 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full) if the door remains closed. If it looks like the power outage will continue beyond a day, prepare a cooler with ice for your freezer items.
  • Keep food in a dry, cool spot and keep it covered at all times.
  • Turn off and unplug all unnecessary electrical equipment, including sensitive electronics.
  • Turn off or disconnect any appliances (like stoves), equipment or electronics you were using when the power went out. When power comes back on, surges or spikes can damage equipment.
  • Leave one light turned on so you’ll know when the power comes back on.

SPACE HEATERS

  • If using a space heater powered by a generator, place the heater on a level, hard and nonflammable surface in the home.
  • Keep all potential sources of fuel like paper, clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs at least three feet away from space heaters, stoves, or fireplaces.
  • Portable heaters and fireplaces should never be left unattended. Turn off space heaters and make sure any embers in the fireplace are extinguished before leaving home.
  • Keep children and pets away from space heaters.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: