Georgiann Teater was making a meatloaf dinner when she noticed smoke emerging from the back of her stove. Flames quickly followed, and she yelled to her family to flee outside.
After escaping, Teater immediately called 9-1-1. Firefighters arrived within minutes, but the damage to the first floor was severe enough to deem her Philadelphia home unlivable.
“I was so upset because this had never happened to me before,” said Teater, a grandmother.
Stranded outside on an October evening, she was grateful to have the support of American Red Cross Volunteers, who arrived to offer assistance for her family’s urgent needs. They helped provide a safe place to stay, food and clothing.
“The people here at the Red Cross are just absolutely fantastic,” Teater said. “They have treated my family with respect every step of the way. They just continue to go above and beyond the call of duty.”